A pedestrian accident usually occurs when a car driver is not driving safely and hits the pedestrian. This article will give you some guidelines on how to proceed after you were involved in an accident.
There are many things to do when you have been involved in pedestrian accidents: medical, legal, and financial consequences among them. For legal services, it is better to find out which law firms specialize in this type of injury claim so that you can get the best representation.
Your main concern should be with your health, but it is not advisable to ignore the legal issues. Legal issues could prevent you from collecting the damages you deserve, so be sure to involve a good lawyer as soon as possible.
You should call 911 immediately and tell them that a pedestrian accident took place – the operator will ask you for some details about what happened. You should also collect as much evidence as possible to prove who was at fault in the accident. This could include:
- Photographs of the accident scene. If there was a car involved, get the license plate and try to take pictures of the car’s damage.
- Witnesses. Ask witnesses about what they saw and get their contact information if you need to contact them later for more details.
- Personal damage. Collect all the personal property from the victims and try to take note of what they lost when doing so.
- Medical records. Take a statement from each victim at once about their current state. This is important because it will help you collect bigger damages, because the court usually considers permanent conditions when assessing damages.
- Medical expenses. Get a doctor’s report in order to prove that the victims have been hurt as a result of the pedestrian accident.
- Medical and/or funeral bills. Obtain bills from the injured pedestrian and the family of the deceased if he/she was killed in the accident.
Although legal issues are important, your main concern should be with your health. You should give yourself time to rest because injuries can take a long time to heal, so recover as best as you can while waiting for your lawyer to take care of the legal issues. A lot of people suffer from depression and anxiety because they feel responsible for their injury and have to deal with the legal issues alone.
The injured victim’s family should not pay for any medical expenses. You will probably receive some compensation from the at-fault driver, but it is also advisable that you wait for the lawyer to advise you on this. If there are no health issues in your family that can affect your ability to pay, then you will have to take out a loan to cover the medical expenses. Your lawyer will let you know what you can expect from the at-fault driver’s insurance.
Choosing A Lawyer To Handle Legal Issues Due To The Accident
You should choose a law firm with experience in handling injury cases due to pedestrian accidents.
You should ask the lawyer for references of people who have worked with them before and find out what their experience was like working with the firm. This way, you will have an idea of how well they handled their issues and if they were satisfied with their services or not.
Need to hire a good lawyer for this? Call us today!